The United States Navy Band
7 p.m. Monday, March 5
All Navy Band performances are free and open to the public.
America's Navy is coming to Manhattan, Kansas, one of 21 cities in twelve states to host a performance by the United States Navy Band during its 2018 tour — one of the signature outreach programs of the U.S. Navy.
The Navy Concert Band, the premier wind ensemble of the U.S. Navy, presents a wide array of marches, patriotic selections, orchestral transcriptions and modern wind ensemble repertoire. As the original ensemble of the Navy Band, the Concert Band has been performing public concerts and participating in high-profile events for nearly 90 years.
One of the U.S. Navy Band’s primary responsibilities involves touring the country. All of the band’s primary performing units embark each year on concert tours throughout specified regions of the country, allowing the band to reach out to audiences in areas of the country that do not have opportunities to see the Navy's premier musical ensembles on a regular basis. The concerts are family-friendly events, meant to be entertaining to veterans, families, individuals and those interested in joining the Navy.
For more information call the McCain Box Office, 785-532-6428, weekdays from 11:30 am – 4:30 pm.
"For many years, Navy bands have been where it matters, when it matters, just like the rest of our Navy. Today, we have Sailors performing around the world, improving relations with our allies abroad as well as telling the Navy story here at home." – Capt. Kenneth Collins, U.S. Navy Band commanding officer
U.S. Navy Band facts
- The U.S. Navy Band is the flagship musical organization of the Navy, and one of 11 Navy bands located around the world.
- The U.S. Navy Band is based at the Washington Navy Yard in Washington, D.C.
- The Concert Band 2018 tour will cover 21 cities and nearly 5,000 miles.
- The Navy Band has been touring the country since 1925.
- There are six performing ensembles in the Navy Band: the Concert Band, Ceremonial Band, Sea Chanters chorus, Commodores jazz ensemble, Country Current country/bluegrass ensemble, and the Cruisers popular music group
- Ensembles from the Navy Band tour nationally 12-15 weeks each year.
- Sailors in the Navy Band are full-time professional musicians.
- Almost all of the Sailors in the Navy Band have undergraduate degrees in music, and most have graduate degrees.